What made you decide to become a doctor?
I started off doing science at university. The Zoology building was over the road from the Medical School. When I was marking the tracks of a
millipede on carbon paper, I looked across the road and thought I could be doing more with my life.
12 Students from my year at high school did medicine. Plus 1st year science was the same as 1st year medicine, and I mingled with a few medical
students. Never thought of medicine before then, so I thought “why not me?”
I had a girlfriend who was doing medicine.
What do you enjoy most about working at KMA?
The dedicated Office and Nursing Staff. A well equipped surgery that gives one a chance to practice good quality medicine.
What are your interests/hobbies outside of work?
1. Bike Riding
2. Rock & Roll Dancing
3. Football – Crows Supporter
4. Growing Fruit Trees
5 Facts you didn’t know about Dr Michael Gregg
1. I played my 1st senior game of football at the MCG (Norwood vs Melbourne, pre-season trial)- Played against a new young ruckman called Crackers Keenan – and my 1st kick in senior football was to kick the ball out of bounds from a shot at goal, after a mark at the edge of the goal square, dead in front.
2. I spent 3 years at the IMVS/RAH after graduation doing pathology. OK for playing football, until I got dropped to the seconds one day, It was a rush to do 4 autopsies before the game started at 11.30. Strangely, I did not have a good game that day.
3. I ran in the first 11 City to Bay fun runs, before moving interstate. That included the day after the 1975 preliminary final. Norwood went onto win the Grand Final 6 days later. My older brother ran every City to Bay until about 2 years ago.
4. I have never had a cup of coffee in my life; and only ever had 1 cup of tea (at Raffles Hotel in Singapore).
5. I have something in common with Don Bradman, Neither of us ever got out in the 90’s in a Test Match.